- Remember to never split an infinitive.
- The passive voice should never be used.
- Do not put statements in the negative form.
- Verbs have to agree with their subjects.
- Proofread carefully to see if you words out.
- If you reread your work, you can find on rereading a great deal of repetition can be by rereading and editing.
- A writer must not shift your point of view.
- And don’t start a sentence with a conjunction. (Remember, too, a preposition is a terrible word to end a sentence with.)
- Don’t overuse exclamation marks!!
- Place pronouns as close as possible, especially in long sentences, as of 10 or more words, to their antecedents.
- Writing carefully, dangling participles must be avoided.
- If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a linking verb is.
- Take the bull by the hand and avoid mixing metaphors.
- Avoid trendy locutions that sound flaky.
- Everyone should be careful to use a singular pronoun with singular nouns in their writing.
- Always pick on the correct idiom.
- The adverb always follows the verb.
- Last but not least, avoid cliches like the plague; seek viable alternatives.
Daily Archives: October 3, 2009
SEARCH this Wisdom
- Tolkien, on Government
- Criminals Are Never Disarmed — Robert Heinlein
- Power Attracts the Corrupt — Frank Herbert
- Under Democracy — H.L. Mencken
- Guard Your Enemies from Oppression —> Thomas Paine
- Your Right to Not Support Evil <— Thomas Jefferson
- Global Warming Shamanism <— P.J. O'Rourke
- The Squeaky Wheel...May Be Foolish <— Dave Nalle
- Disarming the Victims <— William S. Burroughs
- The Inconvenience of Too Much Liberty <— Jefferson
Previous Daily Quotes
- January 2019 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- October 2014 (1)
- January 2013 (1)
- December 2012 (4)
- November 2012 (4)
- August 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (6)
- May 2012 (2)
- April 2012 (1)
- March 2012 (3)
- February 2012 (5)
- January 2012 (5)
- December 2011 (9)
- April 2011 (5)
- February 2011 (1)
- January 2011 (13)
- August 2010 (7)
- July 2010 (14)
- December 2009 (1)
- October 2009 (13)
- September 2009 (21)
- August 2009 (35)
- Why State Programs Fail
- The Truth about Income Inequality
- Why We Conservatives Should Watch Al Jazeera
- Why “Moderates” Have Always been Unelectable
- How to Prove Ron Paul is a Racist Enemy of America
- Government Workers Who Strike, Violate the Public Trust
- How Student Loans Increase Your Tuition
- Government Alarmism Kills Dozens in Joplin, Missouri
- Why the End Does Not Justify the Means
- Should You “Give Back” to Your Employer?
- 60,346 Viewers